A reliable and skilled IT department is integral for the success of your business. If your IT team is burnt out, overworked, or dissatisfied, operations will suffer and your network will experience one IT emergency after another. Just as you expect your IT staff to use best practices, as a business owner, you need to manage your IT staff as... Read More
- Published: 01 Nov 2019
Running a business is one thing, but it is quite another to protect it from issues and threats. There is a vast assortment of potential obstacles that can pop up during your operations. Likewise, there are many ways that a business needs to be protected, each one as crucial as the last. A few basics include:
- Staff Training - Without the ability to spot potential threats before falling for them, your employees are apt to get caught up in scams, ransomware attacks, and phishing attempts. Every level of the business needs to be taught how to spot these threats and mitigate them - including you - so there’s less of a chance of these threats being successful.
- Network Protection - Any device on your network, as well as your network itself, needs to have sufficient security solutions protecting it. You should have antivirus and antimalware installed, as well as content filtering to prevent improper and risky web surfing, and firewalls to block incoming threats along with too many other protections to list here.
- Password Policies - A survey by the UK-based National Cyber Security Centre revealed a few important things in an analysis of passwords involved in data breaches around the world. For example, here was the top 10 list of common passwords in breaches:
- 1. 123456
- 3. qwerty
- 4. password
- 5. 111111
- 6. 12345678
- 7. abc123
- 8. 1234567
- 9. password1
- 10. 12345
- Keep Software Updated - The majority of software updates are intended to shore up security concerns, so putting off updates for no reason is risky behaviour. Make sure that you remain diligent about updating your solutions.
- Prepare for the Worst - The unfortunate truth is that some cyber threats are bound to slip by your defences at some point - that’s just statistics. Therefore, you need to have an ace up your sleeve - or a reliable, bulletproof backup solution. Of course, you also need to have a strategy mapped out for any scenario that might force you to use it.
For assistance in handling any of these tasks (and more), reach out to Compudata.
We can assist necessary for you to accomplish these goals effectively and efficiently. To learn more, call 1-855-405-8889.