- Written by Compudata
- Published: 25 Aug 2021
We all know that there are some keyboard shortcuts that work within your applications, but did you know that there are some that are pretty much universal throughout your Windows operating system? Let’s go over some of the most common keyboard shortcuts for Windows, some of which you might be surprised to see. If you can master these shortcuts, you can master your operating system and improve your productivity.
As always with our keyboard shortcut blog articles, we recommend that you print out this article and keep it handy. You never know when a couple of keystrokes can save you some time, effort, and a headache.
General Keyboard Shortcuts
These are general keyboard shortcuts that will work for most applications you utilize on your Windows PC:
- Cut: Ctrl + X
- Copy: Ctrl + C
- Paste: Ctrl + V
- Select All Text: Ctrl + A
- Rename selected item: F2
- Switch between open applications: Alt + Tab
- Refresh: F5
- Delete an item: Delete
- Redo an action: Ctrl + Y
- Undo an action: Ctrl + Z
Windows Key Shortcuts
These keyboard shortcuts utilize the Windows key on your keyboard:
- Open the Start menu: Windows Key
- Lock your computer: Windows Key + L
- Hide or show your Desktop: Windows Key + D
- Open the Action Center: Windows Key + A
- Open Cortana in listening mode: Windows Key + C (Note: this is disabled by default. Enable it in your Settings)
- Open File Explorer: Windows Key + E
- Open Settings: Windows Key + I
- Open the Search bar: Windows Key + S
- Open Taskbar Applications: Windows Key + Number Key (whichever corresponds with the apps in your taskbar)
- Minimize all windows: Windows Key + M
As always, this is far from an exhaustive list; if you need more detailed information on any of these shortcuts or for more particular tasks, we encourage you to check out the official Microsoft support page for even more keyboard shortcuts.
What other tips and tricks do you want to see from us in the future? Be sure to let us know in the comments, and make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss them!
Comments Off on Tip of the Week: Windows Shortcuts to Make You Look Like a Pro
Posted in Blog, Tip of the Week
Tagged Microsoft, Tip of the Week, Windows 10